Motivation – The processes that account for an individual’s intensity, direction and persistence of effort towards attaining a goal.
Intensity – How hard a person tries.
Direction – Where effort is channeled.
Persistence – How long is effort maintained.
WHAT IS MOTIVATION TO YOU
- Different for everybody
- Can change over time
- Fuel for “The Journey”
TWO TYPES OF MOTIVATION
- Short Term-Extrinsic (Carrots)
Comes from outside the person, such as pay, bonuses and other tangible rewards.
- Long Term-Intrinsic (Values/Mission)
Comes from the inside – a person’s internal desire to do something, due to such things as interest, challenge and personal satisfaction.
- All Motivation is “Self Motivation”
Have a cause.
Have a dream (a big dream).
Run your own race.
Take one more step.
Let go of the past.
- On YOURSELF
- On RELATIONSHIPS
- On DELEGATION
- On ACTION
- On POSSIBILITIES
- On “THE ONE THING” – That guarantees success!
FOCUS on Yourself First
- If you want to double your motivation.
– Double the time you spend on yourself.
– Give yourself permission to work on you.
– Attend a Lotus workshop!
- Create more “Peak Moments” in your life.
FOCUS on Relationships
- Family / Team / Patients / Community
- Family first.
- Don’t spin too many plates – Just say NO!
- 80 / 20 Rule
FOCUS on Delegation
Delegation – assignment of authority and responsibility to another person to carry out specific activities.
- The opposite of effective delegation is micromanagement.
- Can save time and $$$.
- Will help in building the skills of others, as well as motivating them.
- Get the monkey of your back.
FOCUS on Action
- What does action look like?
- Inaction is the opposite of motivation.
- Utilize “Action Planners” and agreements.
Write down the specific actions you have decided to take in the last 30 days to create your dream practice.
Write down the top 5 things you want to change in the next 30 days to move your practice towards your dream.
Possibility – A thing or event that may be the case. The state or fact of being likely or possible, likelihood.
- Be open to possibility – What is the upside, what is the downside?
- Whatever you can dream of can be possible!
- What are the different “Income Centers” in your practice?
- What other areas are possible as Income Centers?
“The One Thing”
- What is it to you? Your team?
Spend quality time with your team and team members.
Give feedback and coach.
Be a believer (Empower your team).
–The assumption that employees dislike work, will attempt to avoid it, and must be coerced, controlled, or threatened with punishment if they are to perform.
–The assumption that employees like work, are creative, seek responsibility, and can exercise self-direction and self-control.
Gourmet Restaurant Exercise
- “Product” plays a very small (yet important) role in the overall experience
- A crown is a crown is a crown???
- It’s an investment in a “Trust Account”
– Make regular deposits into their emotional Bank Accounts (10:1)
– It pays long term dividends
– Allows you to make withdrawals when necessary
– Promotes Trust
- Invest in a work environment that everyone is proud of.
– 1st Class Facility
– Newer technology
– Nice Break Room
– Team Building Activities
- Day of Beauty
- Fun Days
- Secret Pals
- Appropriate Pranks
- General Fun
- Shopping Spree
- Bring in Lunches
- Dress Up Days
- Team Goal Setting
– They want to be a part of something “Going Somewhere.”
– More energy is created if they strive for a reward.
– Set S.M.A.R.T Goals
. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely
– Creatively and Enthusiastically reward in a timely manner.
- Grab Bag / Team Outings / C.E. Trips / Fun Days, etc.
- Why don’t dentists deal with Team Motivation?
– Busier building walls – don’t let team in
– Takes time
– Takes effort
– Might even cost money to motivate
– It’s worth the time and the investment
- DO IT! NOW!!
“Coming together is a beginning, staying together is a process, and working together is success.” Henry Ford
“The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined efforts of each individual.” Vince Lombardi
MAKE IT HAPPEN!!
Immediate Action Items
- Put Team Motivation in the budget (1-3%).
- Schedule Power Lunches.
- Thank the team for being who they are.
- Create a place in your calendar for your first of next team trip.
– Best bang for your team trip buck: LOTUS TEAM WORKSHOP!
- ACTION CARD: To remind you of immediate actions of team motivation and in what order you wish to implement
Create the kind of team that will “WALK THROUGH THE FIRE” for you!